The University of Iowa

Please call (319) 335-1243 or send an email to for any of the following questions:

  • What if there is not the proper amount of chairs in my classroom?
  • What if there is no podium/lectern?
  • What if the classroom is out of chalk or erasers?
  • What if the classroom is too hot or too cold?
  • What if there are broken chairs or tables in my classrooms?

Who do I contact for technology problems? Who do I contact to request technology or software?

Any technology related questions should be routed to the ITS Hotline (335-1976 or 

What if I have an operating problem with any of the A/V equipment or computer?

Call Classroom Technology Support Hot Line at (319) 335-1976 for immediate assistance. This telephone number is posted in each University Classroom.

Can we add more chairs to our classroom to expand capacity?

Seating in the university classrooms are assigned according to Fire Safety Regulations. Expanding the seating to fit your class size would be a violation of those regulations. Please contact Classroom Scheduling at (319) 335-1243 for a larger classroom assignment.

How do I request any kind of changes in the classrooms?

Please send an email to

Who supplies the whiteboard markers in university classrooms?

Classroom Scheduling provides courtesy whiteboard (or dry erase markers) on the first day of classes of the first semester the classroom facility joins the university classroom pool. Once the classroom has been in operation and the courtesy markers depleted, it becomes the responsibility of each department to provide the dry erase markers needed by their faculty. Classroom Scheduling recommends Expo Low Odor Dry Erase Markers.

Is colored chalk supported in university classrooms?

Colored chalk poses a cleaning problem for custodial because the composition is very greasy, which makes erasing difficult. After a few days of use, the board requires a wet-scrubbing with detergent. Custodial staff allocation does not support this extra cleanup time in classrooms.  Classroom Scheduling requests instructors contact our office for an alternate classroom assignment equipped with a whiteboard writing surface where alternate colors may be used without impact to daily cleaning. 

White chalk is supplied by Facilities Management:  Crayola Anti-Dust (#1402) and Prang Hygieia Dustless.

May I use any classroom that appears free?

A classroom may appear to be unused and available for use. However, it might be reserved for specific days or times that overlap with your needs creating a classroom conflict. In order to ensure you will have the kind of classroom facility you need, when you need it, and not conflict with someone else, please utilize only the university classrooms you have reserved through Classroom Scheduling. Please call us at (319) 335-1243 and we will help verify the classroom is open for your use or we will try to find you a suitable alternative. Electronic requests can be sent to our email at or by the web form located at the Office of the Registrar website.

Who do I notify of a problem with the classroom I have been assigned?

Please contact Classroom Scheduling at (319) 335-1243 to report any problems in a University Classroom, such as broken chairs, broken blinds, or ceiling lights in need of repair. You may also submit an electronic notification via for later follow up.

How do I request a classroom for a future semester?

In regard to a semester assignment, departments can request rooms when submitting course offerings for Schedule of Courses.  Please visit the "Location" section on the  Course Offering Planner page on the Office of the Registrar website for more information on course offerings and the schedule of courses. The classrooms requests are just that, requests. The Scheduling Regulations are also posted on our web site for reference at

In the case of a special one-time classroom request, classrooms assignments are granted after completion of initial semester scheduling. Please call Classroom Scheduling at (319) 335-1243 for more detail.

How do I change a classroom assignment for the current semester?

Call Classroom Scheduling at (319) 335-1243 or send an email to

Where do I find information on the Call for Course Offerings?

You can find information on the Call for Course Offerings at the Office of the Registrar website.

How do I submit a request for room assignments to Classroom Scheduling?

Room reservations are taken in a number of ways: by phone (319) 335-1243; e-mail at; or electronic room request form found at the Office of the Registrar website. Room assignments are taken on a first come, first served basis. Priority will be focused on the schedule of courses needs.

Who do I contact if construction noise disturbs my examination in progress?

The standard practice of The University of Iowa Facilities Management Department is to immediately stop construction when the work disturbs an examination in progress. The faculty member in charge of an examination should promptly report such problems to Work Control at (319) 335-5071 or to the construction workers, asking them to contact the Project’s Construction Manager for further direction.

What if someone is in my assigned classroom?

Classroom Scheduling makes every effort to avoid this circumstance. However, in the unlikely event this occurs, please call Classroom Scheduling at (319) 335-1243 or leave a message after hours for follow-up the next day. It would be helpful to have course number information to assist in this process. If an event has been scheduled, please present your electronic room reservation confirmation for rights to the classroom.

What if an instructor runs over their scheduled time?

Classroom Scheduling will process course and event scheduling with 10 - 15 minute intervals between sessions based on the day of the week. This short intermission of time is intended to be shared between the instructors occupying the same classroom space for students’ questions or audio-visual setups while allowing students to arrive to the next class in a timely fashion.

Is the accessibility path to the North end of Macbride Hall through the auditorium?

Yes.  The north wing of the building at levels two and three is reached by passing through the auditorium.  Additionally, the accessible entrance is located on the east side of the building. It is equipped with a power door opener and leads directly to the building elevator. The single building elevator provides access to the south wing of the building. The north wing of the building at the first floor is reached by passing through the Museum of Natural History. 

How are classrooms Going Green?

The Office of the Registrar, Classroom Scheduling has partnered with Facilities Management Utilities Energy Management to develop classroom scheduling practices for university classroom auditoria to aid in campus energy conservation. These new efforts are in accordance with The University of Iowa initiatives to reduce energy consumption, improve building environment and promote sustainability. This is a proven energy savings strategy adopted by many institutions and it is critical to the University of Iowa due to the financial challenges.

Classroom Scheduling exercises a time cutoff for university classroom auditoria event scheduling to allow sufficient time for HVAC programming by the Facilities Management (FM) staff. FM will cease providing climate control in auditoria if the special event is to be held the same day as requested. All special event requests for general assignment auditoria Monday - Thursdays will be required to be scheduled/processed, not requested, by close of business (4:30pm) the day prior to the event to ensure proper climate control. For example, a special event in SHAM for Tuesday evening at 6pm requires event processing BEFORE 4:30pm on Monday.

Weekends hold a particular cost savings benefit for our campus. Therefore, all Saturday and Sunday events will continue to be scheduled/processed, not requested, by Noon the Friday prior to the weekend event to ensure proper climate control. If departments require a one-time special exception to this new procedure, Classroom Scheduling and Facilities Management will attempt to make the necessary special HVAC arrangements. However, the exception cannot be guaranteed.